Friday, May 8, 2009

Hertiage School's First Art Fair

The Heritage School held its first Art Fair on Friday, May 8th in the Multi-purpose room. Each child in the school created an art project in class and those students whose parents signed an "R.S.V.P." form were able to have their artwork framed. The displays were beautiful! Parents were then able to purchase the framed artwork and the proceeds went to the school. (Artwork that wasn't purchased during the Art Fair was removed from the frame and returned to the student .)
The sixth grade students were able to choose a desert, mountain, or beach sunset scene to watercolor. Then they used black marker to add details such as trees or animals.
My second grade students used watercolor to show an ocean scene at sunset. When the painting dried, the children used an origami technique to make sailboats to glue onto the picture. Then they used colored markers to decorate the sailboats. Students learned about perspective and made small sailboats for the background and larger sailboats for the foreground. I have no brain for art, so talented Ms. Jordan and I traded classes for an hour. She taught my students how to watercolor while I took her students to the Computer Lab. (I was actually able to teach the origami portion of the lesson the next day, believe it or not!)


Parent volunteers filed the unframed artwork and helped with set-up and clean-up.


Ms. Sheila Jordan, sixth grade teacher, was the Art Fair coordinator. She's still smiling, even after all that work!

No comments:

Post a Comment